So as part of my strategy this month to avoid refined sugars, today I made these raw vegan bliss balls, rolled in (variously) dessicated coconut (I found the shredded variety didn’t give a nice even coat), green tea powder, and slightly crushed up cacoa nibs. Delicious!
These bliss balls have a beautifully cakey texture, and they’re so satisfying for that pesky sweet tooth, i’ve found that when I get the chocolate (or cake) urge, just one of these little wonders completely hits the spot.
No Bake Vegan Bliss Balls
Adapted from VegKitchen
- ½ cup almond meal (flour)
- ½ cup nut butter or tahini (i’ve used a combo of both and found it to be perfect)
- 10 juicy Medjool dates
- ¼ cup maca powder
- 2 tablespoons cacao or organic cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar, to taste
- Toppings of your choice to coat
- Pop everything into a food processor and process until the mixture starts holding together as a mass. If it doesn’t do so after a minute or two of processing (for this depends on how moist the dates are and the density of the nut butter), add just a little water – a tablespoon is generally enough.
- Put all your coatings into separate bowls so they’re handy – as mentioned above, i’ve used variously dessicated coconut, crushed cacao nibs and green tea powder, as well as crushed toasted nuts, cacao powder, toasted sesame seeds…basically anything you like!
- Roll into 1-inch balls. Put a small amount of extra coconut on a small plate. Roll the balls in the coatings as you go.
- Arrange on another small plate and refrigerate for about an hour, then enjoy!