So in keeping with the new year theme of going gluten free, i’ve ditched the toast and made some of these delicious cauliflower and spinach ‘flatbreads’ to hold my favourite toppings. They’re baked then frozen for later use, but I hit my first hurdle trying to figure out how to prepare them after taking them out of the freezer…I tried microwaving but it got a bit mushy, which kind of defeats the purpose…I ended up eating it with a knife and fork and while it tasted DELICIOUS, I want something I can pick up or roll up and pop into my mouth, for maximum convenience. Next time, i’ll try dry frying one and see how that works 🙂
Cauliflower & Spinach Breakfast Bread
Recipe reproduced from Going Cavewoman
- Touch of Coconut Oil – for saute
- 1 Cauliflower
- ½ Onion – Diced
- 1 Cup Spinach – Fresh or frozen
- ½ Cup Nuts – Ground (I used almond meal)
- 2-3 Free Range Eggs
- 1-2 Cloves Garlic – Crushed
- Any herb of choice, fresh or dry – Optional (I used a bit of majoram and sage)
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- In a food processor, chop the cauliflower until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- In a skillet, melt coconut oil and heat the cauliflower, garlic and onion until it browns slightly, 10 mins.
- Beat eggs in a bowl and add cauliflower mix and the remaining ingredients. Stir.
- Place parchment paper on a baking tray and spoon mixture into rounds for a perfectly round shape.
- Bake at 180C for 15 minutes until browned.
I think I made mine too thin, so next time i’ll be adding a bit more bulk to them & see if that makes for a better end product. I didn’t have the right size rounds for them so I just drew around a bowl on my baking paper and moulded them by hand. Mine also took much longer to cook and were much thinner…I do have a very slow oven, but it’s probably worth just keeping an eye on them and pulling them out when they have sufficiently dried out and crisped up to your liking.