I mentioned when I posted my Tasty Baked Tofu recipe ealier this week that I was planning to test out using it for a meat-free taco. Well, the results are in and it was a success! So much so, i’m writing this at 9:30am and i’m already salivating over them…is it a thing to have tacos for breakfast? If not, maybe it should be 😉
This is so easy i’m not even sure it constitutes a separate recipe, but i’ll write up what I did for those of you who want a bit of a guide.
Makes enough for 2 large, or 4 regular sized taco shells
- 125g Tasty Baked Tofu
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Ground cumin
- Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Liquid smoke
- Sriracha sauce
- Taco shells
- 2-3 smallish tomatoes in assorted colours
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 avocado, cubed & mixed with 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- Small handful of shredded iceberg lettuce
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Hot chilli sauce
- Finely chop the tofu until it resembles minced meat in texture.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the tofu. Add in a dash each of the cumin, Worcestershire sauce (if you’re using it), liquid smoke and Sriracha, and stir until warmed through and a dark golden in colour.
- While the tofu is cooking, chop up the tomatoes and onion into small chunks and mix gently in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat your taco shells according to the instructions on the box, and then get ready to assemble! You can go according to your own taste and preference here, but my basic method was 1-2 tbs tofu mince first, then tomato salsa, then avocado, then lettuce, then cheese, then chilli sauce! Seriously yum 🙂
- Use your favourite no-dairy cheese, or leave it out altogether, to make these delicous tacos completely vegan-friendly. You may also want to check the ingredient list on your Worcestershire sauce too, as some brands contain anchovies – and the gluten content seems to vary depending on which brand you buy and in which country you buy it! Just a reminder in case that’s an issue for you, and it’s no big deal leaving this out altogether if you’re unsure.